Hollywood stars and cult directors announced at Cannes – Cinema – Arts & Culture

Canadian horror maestro David Cronenberg and Frenchwoman Claire Denis will compete among 18 films nominated for the Palme d’Or, alongside Russian Kirill Serebrennikov who was recently allowed to leave Russia following a controversial travel ban .

Films shown out of competition will include a rock ‘n’ roll documentary Jerry Lee Lewis by Ethan Coen (one half of the Coen brothers) and ‘Three Thousand Years of Longing’ by ‘Mad Max’ creator George Miller, starring Idris Elba as a jinn.

A host of stars are expected on the red carpet, including Cronenberg’s sci-fi/horror crossover “Crimes of the Future” starring Kristen Stewart, Lea Seydoux and Viggo Mortensen.

Denis returns with a thriller set in Central America – ‘Stars at Noon’ starring Robert Pattinson, while American filmmaker James Gray competes with ‘Armageddon Time’, a tale based on his New York teenage years with Oscar-winning Anne Hathaway. Isaac, Cate Blanchett and Anthony Hopkins.

Elvis and Maverick

Two of the biggest shows had already been confirmed for the festival, which runs from May 17-28.

Tom Cruise will attend the much-delayed world premiere of “Top Gun: Maverick,” the sequel to his 1986 blockbuster, played out of competition.

And Tom Hanks will be in town for “Elvis,” in which he plays the rock ‘n’ roll star’s manager, Colonel Tom Parker, in the latest from Australian director Baz Luhrmann who has already lit up Cannes with “Moulin Red!” and “Gatsby.”

Women directors have seen strong growth at festivals over the past year, winning top prizes at Venice, Berlin and last year at Cannes – where Julia Ducournau’s bold and shocking ‘Titane’ won the Webbed.

But only three women are nominated for Cannes this year, although there are often last-minute entries.

Alongside Denis, we find the American director Kelly Reichardt, who was a hit with “First Cow” and returns with “Showing Up”, and the French Valeria Bruni Tedeschi with “Les Amandiers”.

“Sadness and War”

Festival director Thierry Fremaux gave a nod to the difficult global situation, saying the announcement came “after two years of crisis from which we will not recover quickly, and at a time of sadness and war in Europe”.

A Ukrainian film will be played out of competition — director Sergei Loznitsa’s ‘Natural History of Destruction’ about the destruction of German cities by Allied bombers during World War II — which Fremaux said the festival was “particularly pleased with to welcome this year”.

The main competition will also mark the third nomination for Serebrennikov, who was unable to attend last year when his film ‘Petrov’s Flu’ was in competition due to an embezzlement conviction which his supporters say was a revenge for his anti-authoritarian stance.

He moved to Germany this year after his travel ban was lifted and returns to Cannes with ‘Tchaikovsky’s Wife’ about the famous composer’s private life.

Four former Palme d’Or winners are back in the competition: the Dardenne brothers from Belgium, Sweden’s Ruben Ostlund, Japan’s Hirokazu Kore-eda and Romania’s Cristian Mungiu.

One thing that remains uncertain is who will decide the winner.

The jury is normally announced before the selection, but Fremaux said he would be appointed “in the next few days”, hinting at a difficult task as so many filmmakers were back at work after the pandemic shutdown.

The opening night film — which, under a recent rule, must also be released nationally on the same day — will be “Final Cut,” a zombie flick from the creators of award-winning “The Artist”. an Oscar.

Short link:

Helen D. Jessen